While my sidekick and I were back in the US visiting family, I took the opportunity to try out some new recipes for my parents. I always have a great time trying out new recipes on them. Not only is it a chance for me to use ingredients I don’t have available wherever we are living but also to introduce my parents to something outside their normal rotation. For me, it gives me another set of tastebuds to test things out on and I’m sure a nice break for them having someone else cook.
Remember those beets I showed you how to roast earlier this month, well for dinner one night we were looking for something light and refreshing so we added them to a salad and topped it with a piece of salmon. Even my dad was raving about it…he’s gotten better about eating his vegetables over the years. As a kid, I remember him calling it “rabbit food” but these days he’s embracing it.
Ginger-Citrus Salmon with Fruit and Beet Salad
Prep Time: 45 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
- 1 pound salmon
- 2 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1/2 teaspoon shallot, minced
- 1 garlic glove, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of dried parsley flakes
- Dash of cumin
Salad fixings, add to your liking and top with cooked salmon:
- Mixed greens
- Orange or clementine wedges
- Strawberries, quartered
- Pecans, roughly chopped
- Roasted beets, sliced or cubed
- Red onion, sliced in rings
- Pre-heat oven to 400º.
- Combine marinade ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Transfer to a plastic bag and add salmon. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Transfer to roasting pan with a rack, skin side down. Drizzle remaining marinade on top.
- Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes or until it flakes with a fork.
- For salad: Dress greens with citrus vinaigrette or other dressing, as desired. Toss to coat lettuce leaves. Separate onto four plates. Top with orange sections, roasted beets, strawberries, onion, and chopped pecans. Add salmon on top and enjoy!