Years ago, we used to spend the weekends with our friends at their parents’ house lounging at the pool, relaxing in the hot tub, and joking around with them. Even better were the Italian dishes Mama Cheryl made for us and her meatball subs were no exception. They were consumed for dinner and as we drank the night away. She always made enough to feed a village and had them ready to go at a moment’s notice. My husband and I loved them so much that I learned her technique and have continued to make them that way ever since.
After making meatballs for New Year’s, we realized how long it had been since either of us had eaten a meatball sub and instantly craved Mama Cheryl’s meatball subs. So, here we are…
Mama Cheryl’s Meatball Sub
Take the meatballs you made using my Italian Meatballs recipe and turn them into delicious subs for the whole family.
- Preheat the oven to 375º.
- Core out the middle of a hoagie roll. Save the middle pieces to dip in the sauce later or repurpose for another recipe.
- Spread softened butter on the inside of the hoagie roll and bake for just a couple minutes until the butter has melted and the bread is slightly crispy.
- Put a little shredded mozzarella in the bottom of the roll. Fill the hoagie with meatballs and cover with sauce. Top with more mozzarella.
- Return to the oven to melt the cheese and crisp up the bread a little more.
- Sprinkle Tony Chacherie’s Creole Seasoning on top and devour!